crabbing (See crab)
1 decapod having eyes on short stalks and a broad flattened carapace with a small abdomen folded under the thorax and pincers
2 a quarrelsome grouch [syn: crabby person]
3 (astrology) a person who is born while the sun is in Cancer [syn: Cancer]
4 the fourth sign of the zodiac; the sun is in this sign from about June 21 to July 22 [syn: Cancer, Cancer the Crab]
5 the edible flesh of any of various crabs [syn: crabmeat]
7 a stroke of the oar that either misses the water or digs too deeply; "he caught a crab and lost the race"
1 direct (an aircraft) into a crosswind
2 scurry sideways like a crab
3 fish for crab
4 complain; "What was he hollering about?" [syn: gripe, grouse, beef, squawk, bellyache, holler] [also: crabbing, crabbed]
- present participle of crab
The water-dwelling creatures commonly known as crabs are decapod crustaceans. Other zoological uses include:
Crab may also refer to:
- Crab louse, a type of louse often found in pubic hair. Commonly referred to collectively as "crabs".
Sports and entertainment
- A faulty rowing stroke in which the oar is pulled round past the oarsman.
- An athletic move akin to the float in breakdancing.
- Maritime and climbing slang for a carabiner.
- Giant Enemy Crab, an internet meme that also appears in the video game Genji 2.
- "Krabe", one of the monsters in the animated TV series Code Lyoko.
Science and technology
- The constellation Cancer.
- Crab Nebula, the supernova remnant found in the constellation Taurus.
- Crab banana in botany.
- Any of various machines used to hoist heavy objects.
- Crab landing, a method of landing a fixed-wing aircraft in a crosswind, so named as it resembles the crustacean crab's sideways alignment.
- Crab (cipher), an encryption algorithm based on MD5.
- LMS Hughes Crab, a class of steam locomotive.
- A type of "itching" used by turntablists that involves flickering the crossfader between the thumb and fingers (starting with the little finger and ending with the index finger).
- An instruction given by a film director or television director to a camera operator requiring a sideways movement of the camera (resembling a crustacean crab).
- Sherman Crab, a British World War II mine-clearing tank.
- "Crabs", a nickname given to the Royal Air Force by the British Army and Royal Navy.
- A synonym for "grouch".
- An insult directed by the Los Angeles "Bloods" street gang toward their rivals the "Crips".
crabbing in Catalan: Cranc (desambiguació)